A brief guide to areas/parishes covered by BMSGH Stourbridge
Amblecote –formerly part of Wollaston (Oldswinford) parish, Worcestershire until 1866 when it became a separate parish in Staffordshire. Now part of Dudley County Borough Council, Staffordshire
Blakedown (see Churchill & Blakedown)
Cakemore (see Halesown)
Careless Green (see Lye)
Churchill & Blakedown – formerly part of Hagley prior to 1933
Colley Gate (see Cradley)
Colman Hill (see Cradley)
Cookley – created 1849 (formerly part of Wolverley ancient parish)
Cradley, inc. Colley Gate, Colman Hill , Netherend, Overend, Two Gates, – created as separate parish 1866. Formerly part of Halesowen ancient parish. Transferred to West Midlands 1974.
Cradley Heath (see Reddall Hill)
Dudley - ancient parishes were part of Worcestershire until 1866, then transferred to Staffordshire until 1974 when it became a Metropolitan Borough within West Midlands
Eve Hill (see Dudley)
Frankley (see Halesowen)
Hagley – ancient parish. West Hagley was formed from part of it in 1909.
Halesowen, and townships of Hasbury, Hawne, Hill & Cakemore, Hasbury, Illey, Lapal, Langley, Lutley, Ridgacre & Warley – ancient parish in Shropshire. Transferred to Worcestershire 1844. In 1974 it became part of Metropolitan Borough of Dudley in West Midlands.
Hasbury (see Halesowen)
Hunnington – formerly part of ancient parish of Halesowen, it became a separate parish in Worcestershire in 1866.
Illey (see Halesowen)
Ismere (see Churchill) – formerly part of Hagley, created as part of new parish of Churchill & Blakedown 1933.
Kateshill – created 1844 from part of Dudley St Thomas ancient parish
Kingsford (see Wolverley)
Langley (see Halesowen) – created 1846. Now part of Sandwell
Lapal (see Halesowen)
Lutley (see Halesowen)
Lye, inc. Stambermill – formerly part of ancient parish of Oldswinford. It became a separate parish in 1866, then transferred to West Midlands 974
Lye Waste (see Lye)
Netherend (see Cradley)
Netherton (see Dudley)
Norton (nr Stourbridge) - separate parish created 1953 from former parts of Oldswinford and Stourbridge St Thomas,.
Oldswinford – ancient parish included Lye, Stourbridge, Upper Swinford, Wollaston & Wollescote.
Overend (see Cradley)
Pedmore – ancient parish, transferred to Dudley Metropolitan Borough, West Midlands.1974.
Reddall Hill – also known as Cradley Heath, created 1844 from Rowley Regis ancient parish.
Stourbridge – formerly part of Oldswinford, it became a separate parish 1866
The Lye (see Lye)
Two Gates (see Cradley)
Upper Arley (also known as Over Arley) – ancient parish, formerly in Staffordshire but transferred to Worcestershire in 1895.
Upper Swinford (see Oldswinford)
Wannerton (see Churchill)
West Hagley (see Hagley)
Wollaston – formerly part of ancient parish of Oldswinford, it was created a separate parish 1866.
Wollescote – formerly part of ancient parish of Oldswinford it was created a separate parish in 1866. Transferred to West Midlands 1974.
Wolverley – ancient parish inc Blakeshall, Horseley, Kingsford, Little Hobro, Sladd etc.