Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Park Gate Inn

Park Gate Inn 3 years 7 months ago #997

It received its licence about 1860 and the Licencee was Sarah Hanks (nee Brookes) who lived there with her children for many years. Her deceased husband was James Hanks (b- 1801). His father was Edward Hanks and his mother was Mary Hundy.
Has anyones family line crossed into theirs?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Park Gate Inn 3 years 6 months ago #1005

Hi Norman,
Sarah hanks is my 3x Ggrandmother.In 1841 they appear to be in Upton Warren and 1851 Park Gate.From Newspaper articles it appears that James and sarah became Beer house keepers(he was still an ag lab at this time).He must have been serving beer from his home at that time as by 1858/9 a licence had been requested to open a new pub at Park gate to be called The Park Gate Inn. The licence was granted.However they were in the Newspapers a few times for one thing and another but mostly to do with the pub, allowing drinking after hrs, being refused a new licence for the pub but was then given and also a murder at the pub.After James died Sarah continued to run the pub until about 1900.I would have loved to have a photo of her and James but so far have found none.Iv'e only given a brief example of the family but they appear to have been very vocal. By the way their daughter Emma is my 2x Ggrandmother she married Jabez Banner.
I hope you find this interesting.
Regards
Yvonne

Park Gate Inn 3 years 6 months ago #1006

Hi Both,

I was idling my time, but still learning, looking for "Sarah HANKS". She appears in a public tree on the Canadian version of Ancestry. Look for her son-in-law if you can't find her: Henry Robert WOZENCROFT.

Sarah appears in the 1879 Littleburys Directory on Parishroots parishroots.co.uk/2011/02/04/bromsgrove-...urys-directory-1879/

Carpet bagger

Park Gate Inn 3 years 6 months ago #1007

Hi Yvonne,
the reason for my interest in the Park Gate Inn, and its occupants, is my g.g.grandad was Thomas Hanks (b 1793). He joined the Royal Marines in 1810 (have copy of attestation), and in all the census's and Royal Marine docs, says he was born Tardibigge, Worcestershire.

I have been unable to find a record of his birth/baptism despite visiting the records office in Worcester.

From his second marriage cert in 1856, his father is shown as Edward Hanks. The records show only two Edward Hanks in Worcestershire in this time frame.
One married Ester Bradley in 1757 Upton Warren, and the other married Mary Hundy in 1785 Pershore.
Some public family trees suggest the two Edwards are the same person.

In the marriage to Mary Hundy (1785) the children came 1785 (Rebecca), 1788 (Esther) and then a gap to James Hanks (1801).
Unusual for such a gap and wouldn't it be nice if my Thomas Hanks (1793) was also a child.

Thomas was a Royal Marine for 21 years, fighting all over the Empire, and on retirement had a pension. He lived in Fockbury Lane about 1.5 miles from the Park Gate Inn at Crossfields.

One of my older cousins said his grandfather had told him Thomas had bought the land that the Park Gate stood on, but we can't find any paperwork.

If indeed he was Mary Hundy's son, James Hanks (1801) would have been his brother.

Sorry this has been so long-winded................Norman Hanks

Park Gate Inn 3 years 6 months ago #1008

Hi Norman,

Just because Thomas was born in Tardebigge doesn't necessarily mean he was Baptised there. Or even Baptised at all. He may also have lied about his age in joining the Marines - or not known exactly when he was born.

According to the county Baptism index www.fhs-online.co.uk/ - search for free - there were only 5 Thomas HANKS baptised in Worcestershire before 1839.

As for his potential mother Esther the National Burial Index 3 for Worcestershire on;y sites 2 Esther HANKS burials:

a 69 year old Easter (sic) in Bromsgrove in 1831

and a 94 year old in 1817 in Upton Warren.

Hope that helps a little

Carpet bagger
  • Page:
Moderators: Chairman
Time to create page: 0.375 seconds

Member Login

Please register to access all areas of the site. Registration is free and not limited to BMSGH members. As usernames are visible to others in the forums, we suggest you do not use your email address.

For help with registration or logging in click here.