Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: WARD & FIELD families in Bromsgrove

WARD & FIELD families in Bromsgrove 5 years 5 months ago #331

Does anyone know the John WARD and/or Mary FIELD who were married in Bromsgrove 5 Apr 1779? I believe John was my ancestor and he and Mary went to Stone Worcs and raised a family there; both were buried there. But where did John come from and why was he described as a widower in the Marriage Register?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: WARD & FIELD families in Bromsgrove 5 years 5 months ago #332

Hi,

I can't help with details, but I think you need to find the first marriage using the BMSGH Worcestershire Marriage Index. The ONLY hard copies are at The HIVE, aka Worcester record office, and at our own library in Birmingham (see www.bromsgrovebmsgh.co.uk/cms/wfhforum/1...-to-non-members.html )

If you can't pop in try www.bmsgh.org/search/Wo_marr_index.html. Naturally it could be Bromsgrove but...

Next would be to find a burial for John's first wife. (Naturally if there were any other John & Marys in the time frame they would need to be excluded.

Carpet Bagger

Re: WARD & FIELD families in Bromsgrove 5 years 5 months ago #333

Hi,
Thanks for the reply but I tried all the obvious many years ago. I have a full copy of the marriage entry, and have tried many parish regiisters for miles around for John WARD baptisms, previous marriages and first wife burials without an acceptable match. My problem is where did John WARD come from? I am hoping someone has a loose end John WARD baptism very crudely around 1750 from somewhere else.
One other possible clue is the unusual name Nicholas he gave to a son, which carried on another two generations.

Re: WARD & FIELD families in Bromsgrove 5 years 5 months ago #334

Hi again,

The National Burial Index 3, still not truly National, is complete for Worcestershire. There are two Nicholas WARD burials:

both at St. Leonard, Ribbbesford. FamilySearch shows lots of WARDs in Ribbesford, but no useful Johns.

The County Baptism Index www.fhs-online.co.uk/, incomplete pre-1754 does show a John in Bromsgrove, baptised in 1757. This is a pay to view Index.

Cheers

Carpet Bagger

Re: WARD & FIELD families in Bromsgrove 5 years 5 months ago #336

Hi again,
Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I have a lot of information on these Ribbesford WARD, including at least one Nicholas will. Unfortunately I have nothing that links them to my John WARD.
The John WARD bap 1757 Bromsgrove is one possibility, but the arguments for him being mine are weak. His age at death (although often estimated) would be 7 years out, and he would have been very young at 22 for a second marriage (he was described as widower). Also none of my John & Mary's 7 children match the names of the parents or siblings of this John WARD 1757.
I have not been able to find any realistic Worcs marriages to match a first marriage or spouse burial for my John WARD.
This really is frustrating - I have been searching for the origins of my John WARD for more than 25 years! My only hope seems to be another researcher who has a baptism for a John WARD - perhaps south Staffordshire - who subsequently disappeared.
regards,
L
  • Page:
Moderators: Chairman
Time to create page: 0.421 seconds

Member Login

Please register to access all areas of the site. Registration is free and not limited to BMSGH members. As usernames are visible to others in the forums, we suggest you do not use your email address.

For help with registration or logging in click here.