HomeForumFamily History Tips and TricksLocal Sources and ResourcesGeorge Ross Bromsgrove workhouse 21 December 1892
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: George Ross Bromsgrove workhouse 21 December 1892

George Ross Bromsgrove workhouse 21 December 1892 2 years 9 months ago #1108

Hi all

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this so sorry if it isn't.
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction - my great great Grandfather George Ross died in the Bromsgrove union workhouse on the 21st of December 1892. I am told loosely that it was an accident. The cause of death on his death cert is impossible to read - the handwriting on that particular part is awful.
I know his wife Charlotte and several of the children including my great grandfather William Patrick ross were also there. They seemed to have been travelling around various workhouses as farm workers on the road. The whole family is a mystery and I would love tpo find out about them .

any help or suggestions would be amazing !
:)
41690e08-89ac-4bbc-86f1-9cb7063abe20.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

George Ross Bromsgrove workhouse 21 December 1892 2 years 9 months ago #1109

Hi,

To me the cause of death looks like 'Renal Dropsy'. Dropsy being an old term for a build up of water. The first word is to do with the kidneys.

However, that was only a description and would probably not be acceptable today. Today you expect to see 'the cause' of that symptom. Speculating: too much fluid around the kidneys, and this may include the abdomen, might be due to a variety of causes. Cancer, heart failure and cirrhosis of the liver are all possibilities. A qualified doctor may improve on my thoughts.

If you want to know more about workhouse the definitive description is here www.workhouses.org.uk/

There is an outside chance that the death may have been recorded in the Bromsgrove Messenger. See our website. I would check 2 editions following his death.

If you can get to the county record office they may have the admission and discharge registers for the workhouse. Ring or email before travelling.

Try putting ["George Ross" bromsgrove] into Google - everything within the square brackets. There's a RootsChat discussion from 2007 which includes George ROSS.

Hope that helps

Carpet Bagger
The following user(s) said Thank You: jules79

George Ross Bromsgrove workhouse 21 December 1892 2 years 9 months ago #1112

Thank you so much for taking the time to help - I know he and his wife were certainly drinkers so the renal thing makes sense - they were both arrested a couple of times for it and one occasion imprisoned for smashing up a pub in Broadway !!
Again thanks for that and all the best to you :)
  • Page:
Moderators: Chairman
Time to create page: 0.344 seconds

Member Login

Please register to access all areas of the site. Registration is free and not limited to BMSGH members. As usernames are visible to others in the forums, we suggest you do not use your email address.

For help with registration or logging in click here.