HomeForumFamily History Tips and TricksLocal Sources and ResourcesAston Fields War Memorial - unknow soldier
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Aston Fields War Memorial - unknow soldier

Aston Fields War Memorial - unknow soldier 4 years 11 months ago #852

Hi Guys

On aston Fields war memorial, there is a Soldier J T Stevens, In Bromsgrove libary there is a A4 folder with deatails of each soldier in, I assume taken from news paper records

however J T Stevens is unknown,

Is there an original list of who is on the memorial and who would have it, I have made qnuires at the british Legion and the Church

I am intrested as i am thinking it might be George (T) Stevens & Daniel Stevens brother John Stevens. However John did not have a middle initial

Hope you can help
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by ukphil.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Aston Fields War Memorial - unknow soldier 4 years 11 months ago #854

Hi ukphil,

I am not aware of an original list of the fallen. From my limited knowledge of these things, it is possible that War Memorial data may not always apply to people from that area. You can find the same name (person) on several different memorials. So missing names and wrongly allocated names are likely to exist too. The details may well have been taken from a grief stricken relative and the name misheard/misspelt.

You could try searching the memorial for the stone mason's name and try contacting, if they are still in business.

Failing that try The Hive, county record office, www.thehiveworcester.org/explore-the-past.html

Regards

Carpet Bagger

Aston Fields War Memorial - unknow soldier 4 years 11 months ago #856

Hi Carpet Bagger

Thanks for the responce, Since i posted, we have found out from a book on the local church that the war memorial was put up by the parish council.

So we have contacted the hive to see if they have the meeting minuets for the period early 1919 to eng of 1920.

The minuets may also give details of the stone mason

Thanks

Ukphil

Aston Fields War Memorial - unknow soldier 4 years 11 months ago #857

Hi Carpet Bagger

Thanks for the responce, Since i posted, we have found out from a book on the local church that the war memorial was put up by the parish council.

So we have contacted the hive to see if they have the meeting minuets for the period early 1919 to eng of 1920.

The minuets may also give details of the stone mason

Thanks

Ukphil

Aston Fields War Memorial - unknow soldier 3 years 8 months ago #1016

Hello ukphil,

Hope you can read this old post. I've done some WW1 research and have found a John Stevens in Upton Warren, 1901, I think he had a brother Daniel and George? Is this the John Stevens you are looking for? John does not appear on any memorial, as far as I know. He was a pre-war soldier and re-enlisted in 1914, served in France and Italy. He was discharged sick and died in Birmingham Workhouse in 1920. There is now a CWGC page for him. I've found no evidence of a middle name so he may not be JT Stevens on Aston Fields memorial.

Aston Fields War Memorial - unknow soldier 3 years 8 months ago #1049

Hi hutsix

Thanks for the reply, Yes this is the right John Stevens and Daniel and George are both his brothers. I now know lots on the family.

John is on a church memorial in Handsworth Birmingham with his brother Daniel, We also located his grave and the CWGC are to give him a headstone thanks to my work :]

If you go into Banners new restaurant in Aston Fields there is an artical on George (by another guy), using most of my research and the family is all on the lives of the ww1 in detail now

Shame about the initial on the memorial. I do have a theory . . . I went to the Bromsgrove Library to look @ the roll of honor and the only soldier with out an entry is John T Stevens. May be this was because he died in 1920 out side of Bromsgrove so would not have been listed in the listings that the researcher used. Johns brother had a midle initial T, They some times made mistakes. But who knows !

Where did you pick up he was in Italy, what record was this as i did not know this

Thanks

UkPil
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by ukphil. Reason: typo
Moderators: Chairman
Time to create page: 0.434 seconds

Member Login

Please register to access all areas of the site. Registration is free and not limited to BMSGH members. As usernames are visible to others in the forums, we suggest you do not use your email address.

For help with registration or logging in click here.